Snapdragon 780G vs Snapdragon 870, the comparison between the upper mid-range chipset with the flagship chipset. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 780G is revealed a few days ago while the Snapdragon 870 is revealed in January as the overclocked version of Snapdragon 865+. Let’s how the newly launched chipset can compete against the flagship chipset.
- The Qualcomm Snapdragon 780G is built on a 5nm fabrication process while the Snapdragon 870 is based on 7nm fabrication that means the SD 780G is more power-efficient.
- The newly launched SD 780G has new Cortex A78 cores for high performance compared to Cortex A77 cores on SD 870.
- But it is notable that the Snapdragon 870 has a higher clock speed comparably.
- Snapdragon 780G has LPDDR5 RAM support while the Snapdragon 870 doesn’t.
- The Snapdragon 870 has the support of a 4k @60Hz on-device display.
- The SD 780G comes with the new ISP means better camera support compared to SD 870.
- The Snapdragon 870 has 8k video recording support while the Snapdragon 780G has a maximum of 4k video capture.
Snapdragon 780G vs Snapdragon 870 – Specifications
|CPU||1x Cortex-A78 cores @2.4 GHz|
3x Cortex-A78 cores @2.2 GHz
4x Cortex-A55 cores @1.9 GHz
|1x Kryo 585 Prime (Cortex-A77)@3.2GHz|
3x Kryo 585 Gold (Cortex-A77)@2.4GHz
4x Kryo 585 Silver (Cortex-A55)@1.8GHz
|GPU||Adreno 642||Adreno 650|
|Connectivity||Snapdragon X53 5G Modem|
3.3 Mbps Downlink speed
1.5 Mbps Uplink Speed ( expected)
|Snapdragon X55 5G Modem|
7500 Mbps peak downlink speed and
3000 Mbps Uplink Speed in 5G
up to 16GB
|LPDDR4x up to 16GB|
|Storage||UFS 3.1 ( Max )||UFS 3.1 ( Max )|
|Display||FHD+ @ 144 Hz||4k@60Hz, QHD+@144Hz|
|Wi-Fi||802.11a/b/g/n/ax, Wi-Fi 6E||802.11a/b/g/n/ax|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth 5.2||Bluetooth 5.2|
|Camera||Qualcomm Spectra™ 570 ISP|
3 x 25MP ( with ZSL )
64MP + 20MP ( with ZSL )
1 x 84MP ( with ZSL )
up to 192MP single camera
|Qualcomm Spectra™ 480 ISP|
2 x 25MP ( with ZSL )
1 x 64MP ( with ZSL )
up to 200MP single camera
|Video||up to 4k video capture||Up to 4K 120fps or 8K 30fps video capture|
|Location||GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC||GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo,|
GNSS, QZSS, SBAS, NAVIC
Snapdragon 780G vs Snapdragon 870 – Benchmarks
As per some reports, the Snapdragon 780 powered Mi 11 youth Edition grabs a score of 693 in single-cores and 2058 in multi-cores on Geekbench 5 and a 5,00,000+ Antutu score. While the Snapdragon 870 scores 1050 in single-cores and 3534 in multi-cores and 6,57,521 ANTUTU scores.
The Snapdragon 870 and Snapdragon 780 both are very powerful chipsets but in some scenarios, SD 780 is better and in some scenarios, SD 870 is better, and also the benchmark scores are in the favor of Snapdragon 870. And as I always say that the benchmarks differ from smartphone to smartphone so we can’t judge the exact performance but here the gap is high so it may be concluded that Snapdragon 870 may provide better performance.