Popular online payment platform Paytm launched a special feature called UPI Lite earlier this year, seeing the dependence of common people on UPI or online payment options. Then in May another widely used UPI app PhonePe also brought the same facility to the users. In that case, this UPI Lite feature is now available on the online payment platform run by Google. Yes, Google Pay recently introduced UPI Lite option, which allows its users to make payments without entering the UPI PIN. Internet will not be required for this transaction.
Finally Google Pay brings UPI Lite feature
For those who don’t know, UPI Lite is a digital payment service developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) which was launched in September, 2022 by the Reserve Bank of India. It enables users to make hassle-free payments of up to Rs. 200 in just one tap from their UPI Lite account. In that case, Google Pay users will now also get the benefit of this easy digital payment on the platform. The new UPI Lite account will be linked to the user’s bank account and will work through the core banking system – aspirants can load the account up to Rs 2,000 twice a day.
Ambarish Kenghe, VP, Product Management, Google, expressed excitement about the launch of the service, saying that the company is proud to partner with NPCI and RBI. Their UPI Lite option will provide a convenient, compact and lightning-fast payment experience. Incidentally, currently 15 banks support the UPI Lite feature. More banks are expected to join the service in the coming months.
How to Activate UPI Lite in Google Pay?
1. KYC authentication is not required to enable UPI Lite feature in Google Pay app. In this case, the Google Pay app should be opened first.
2. Then click on the profile icon or photo from the profile page.
3. Next step is to find the specific UPI Lite option by scrolling/navigating the screen.
4. Once you find that option UPI Lite option follow the instructions and details given on the screen.
5. In this case it can be used by navigating to the UPI Lite section or wallet after completing the bank account linking process.