Apple M2 Processor was announced today at the Worldwide Developers Conference 2022. It arrives as the successor of the Apple M1 chip which was unveiled last year. The company has done significant upgrades to the new SoC and it also has claimed that it can perform 1.9x faster than the latest 10-core PC laptop chipset from other manufacturers ( Doesn’t mention the name of the competitor).
Apple M2 Specifications and Features
- Apple M2 is built on a custom Arm Silicon 5nm fabrication process.
- It arrives with 20 billion transistors which is 25 percent more than the predecessor.
- Apple also states that the new M2 chip can provide up to 18 percent faster CPU performance, and 35 percent GPU compared to the Apple M1 SoC.
- The processor is an octa-core chip with four performance cores and four efficiency cores.
- The chipset comes with a 20MB cache (16MB cache on the performance cores and 4MB cache on efficiency cores).
- Now the Graphic processor has up to 10 cores which are two more compared to the M1.
- It comes with 100Gbps of memory bandwidth which is 50 percent more than the predecessor.
- The new chipset can accommodate up to 24GB of LPDDR5 RAM.
- The Apple M2 has a 40 percent faster neural engine.
- The SoC comes with a high-performance media engine that supports 8K H.264 and HEVC video.
Apple Macbook Air and Macbook Pro are the first devices to come with the Apple M2 chipset. More Apple products are expected to come fueled with this processor. For more information, you can check out the official press release.